July 31, 2011 – August 6, 2011
General Rules of the Competition
- Application forms and all required materials must be received by May 1, 2011 (see the application form. All candidates will be notified of their acceptance status by May 15, 2011. The decisions of the selection committee cannot be challenged.
- Accepted competitors shall arrive in Ithaca, New York no later than Saturday, July 30; accommodation and practice facilities on all the instruments (cf. instrument list) will be available from Thursday, July 28.
- On Sunday, July 31, at 11:00 hrs. in B-20, Lincoln Hall on the Cornell University campus, there will be a general informational meeting for all candidates.
- The performing order of the candidates will be alphabetical, the first letter to be chosen at random; this order will be kept in all three rounds.
- In all rounds the candidates will choose the order in which they present the works in that particular round, and may play from the score or by memory.
Repeats will normally be observed and tasteful ornamentation, Eingänge and embellishment of fermatas are welcome. In the case of a larger 19th-century work candidates may opt to omit a repeat in order to remain within the time limit of each round.
- The jury is not permitted to discuss the candidates, and all voting is done in secret. Candidates may likewise not speak with any member of the jury. After each round, however, jury members will be available to speak with those candidates who have not advanced to the next level.
- The verdict of the jurors is absolute in all rounds.
These two weeks of the competition and academy should be an opportunity for all to gain new insights and to forge new and hopefully valuable friendships. We look forward to greeting everyone in August.